Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Run a 5k

I guess this goal goes along with my lose weight goal because when I run my 5k, I certainly hope I have lost some weight.

Last year, I decided that I wanted to try to run a 5k.  Now, I have never been a runner.  I hated doing laps in gym class...well, for the most part I hated even having gym class.  Any time I would try the running thing, my lungs would hurt and I would quickly give up on the idea.

For Christmas last year, I got a used treadmill off Craigslist.  I told myself I was finally going to figure out why so many people enjoy running.

To keep myself on track, I signed up for a 5k happening about 3 months later.  I also managed to convince 3 of my brothers and sisters to join the race with me.

I started slowly.  I would run for 30 seconds and then walk for 3 minutes, run for 30 sec., walk for 3 min., for a total of 30 min..  After a week or two of that, I would run for 45 seconds and then walk for 3 minutes.  When the 5k rolled around, I was able to run for 60 seconds and walk for 60 seconds.

I was able to complete the 5k in about 43 minutes!  I was SO proud of myself!  I know that 43 minutes isn't a great time, but my goal was just to finish in under an hour.

During my training, I started to understand why people enjoy running.  There were even a few times when I WANTED to go for a run.  But then we moved, and we were getting settled, and I was unpacking, and I got out of the habit of running regularly.


I am going to get back into that habit!


This year I am going to run a 5k by:
  • Walking and running 3 times each week
  • Starting off slow and building up my endurance
  • Weight training 2 times each week
  • Signing up for a 5k race (that's an important one!)
  • Training enough so I can finish the race in under 40 minutes

Have you ever run a 5k?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...