Monday, December 20, 2010

Write a will

Life is a wonderful, wonderful thing!  But we never know when we are going to die, so I need to make sure that I have written a will.

Now, I don't have tons of money, or tons of things that someone will inherit when I die.  I do have 2 amazing children, though.  This is why writing a will is important to me.

If my husband and I die, I want to make sure that our children are taken care of.

My husband and I both have great families, so I know that our children would be loved no matter who looked after them.  But it's nice to know that I can have some say in what happens to them.

Have you ever seen the movie "Raising Helen"?  It's about a woman who ends up taking in her 3 nieces and nephews after their parents die.  Here is a quote from that movie that explains how I feel:
"...when it comes to picking somebody else to raise your kids, no one seems right. No one is you. And so you choose someone who is most like you. Someone that will give the kids a taste of their real mom, the mom they lost and never really got to know."
So, I guess I should:
  • Research will writing to figure out what I'm supposed to do exactly
  • Prayerfully decide what I want included in the will
  • Write any letters that I might wanted included in my will

Do you have a will?

2 comments:

Grace Matthews said...

I'm with you on that. I have seen that movie and like you I do not have a lot of material things, but what should happen if I die? A will is a good idea for anyone.

Denton said...

I would have to say that I agree with this. We have discussed it previously, but it's hard to narrow it down to one person and lay your children on them. That's just an excuse though.

Post a Comment

So...what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...